Westover, the late Victorian house on the approach to Milford-on-Sea, has been sold.
It was built in 1897 by electricity pioneer Alexander Siemens who employed architect Arnold Mitchell. The house features stained glass windows, because Siemens’ wife disliked curtains, and William de Morgan tiles.
After Siemens died there in 1928 the house was occupied by another pioneer: car manufacturer Lord Nuffield.
In recent years the house has been an hotel receiving rave reviews by London food critics. The business went into receivership earlier this year.
Dorset brewers Hall & Woodhouse have stepped in to rescue the building which it will reopen shortly as The Beach House. It’s a pity to change the name but the house is in the hands of directors who appreciate the building and heritage.
If it can operate as a pub that would be a fantastic bonus for coastal walkers.