This short straight section, known as the East Cliff, links the piers at Bournemouth and Boscombe. In 1846 when the Duke of Argyll spent two weeks walking among the young pines on the cliff he saw only squirrels. Gervis and Manor Roads which run parallel to the cliff retain the remnants of that wood planted early in the 19th century by lord of the manor Sir George Tapps-Gervis. Building started just after this time and the mansions, which have largely given way to flats, housed Gladstone, Disraeli’s Lord Chancellor Lord Cairns and even the Swedish Royal Family. It was discovered in 2003 that Green Lizards, usually found in Spain or Italy and sometimes a foot long, now abound on the cliff top.